The Cascadia Initiative data are open to the public. Data and metadata can be found at the IRIS, OBSIP and CIET sites. This page provides a number of useful links that will help users find and use the Cascadia Initiative data.
Cascadia Initiative OBS Data Available at the IRIS DMC
Ocean bottom seismometer (OBS) data from the Year 1 (2011-2012) and Year 2 (2012-2013) deployments of the Cascadia Initiative are now available at the IRIS DMC. Additional data from the Year 1 and Year 2 deployments will be uploaded as they become available.
Data availability can be viewed at the IRIS DMC MetaData Aggregator.
A summary of data availability is provided by OBSIP:
Relevant Virtual Network codes are as follows:
- _CASCADIA_OBS: NSF Cascadia Initiative Offshore/OBS data
- _CASCADIA-TA: NSF Cascadia Initiative, Earthscope TA
- _CASCADIA: NSF Cascadia Initiative, Earthscope TA plus Regional Network Stations
Cascadia Initiative Metadata
The following links to CI metadata are provided by OBSIP and CIET.
Summary of Data Availability at the DMC
Orientation of OBS Horizontal Channels
- Cascadia Horizontal Orientation Report (7.4MB)
- Appenidx B - Heli Plots (51.5MB)
- Appendix C - PDF-PSD (4.7MB)
- Appendix D - Orientations (7.5MB)
Metadata for each OBS Group
Ocean bottom seismometers typically include a 3 component seismometer and a pressure gauge. In some instances, these channels are recorded at multiple sampling rates and some OBSs include additional channels, for example, hydrophones or accelerometers. For these reasons, a single OBS can often report more then 4 channels of data.
Furthermore, for reasons of national security the OBS data are vetted by the U.S. Navy. The NSF and the U.S. Navy have signed a memorandum of agreement on ocean observing system security.
Standard Operating Procedures for Security Issues Posed by Ocean Bottom Seismometers (Annex B final.pdf)
Below we provide a description of recorded channels; the descriptions are separated out by OBS group.
- WHOI OBS Metadata
LDEO OBS Metadata
- CIET Year 1 LDEO Clock Corrections. Table of clock corrections that have been applied to data at the IRIS DMC.
SIO OBS Metadata
- CIET Year 1 SIO Clock Corrections. Table of clock corrections that have been applied to data at the IRIS DMC.
CIET Cruise Reports
Cruise reports from the 2011, 2012 and 2013 expeditions are available on the CIET web site and as metadata at the IRIS DMC. Cruise reports provide tables, plots and narratives of operations, which can be useful in evaluating data quality.
2011 Field Season
2012 Field Season
Cascadia Initiative Station Files