Skip to main content

January 19, 2012 Minutes

Posted in


CIET Conference Calls



  1. Operational review of 2011 Season
  2. Upcoming 2012 Field Season
  3. 2012 NSF Proposal
  4. Operations at Grays Harbor (Langseth shooting, Focused array recovery)
  5. R/V Wecoma Replacement
  6. GeoMapApp Bathymetry
  7. OBS sampling rates


Participants : Richard Allen, Bob Dziak, Emilie Hooft, Dean Livelybrooks, Jeff McGuire, Susan Schwartz, Doug Toomey, Maya Tolstoy, Anne Trehu, William Wilcock, Richard Carlson, Brent Evers, Rob Woolley, Jeff Babcock, Jim Orcutt, Jim Gaherty

This CIET call involved personnel from the OBSIP IICs so that we could discuss 2011 and 2012 field seasons.  OBSIP OMO also participated (Brent Evers and Rob Woolley)

Operational Review of 2011 & 2012 Field Seasons

Each OBSIP IIC provided a summary of operations and concerns.

SIO:  Jeff Babcock/Martin Rapa

  • SIO OBSIP noted two issues:  1) Configuration of instruments put out is such that they will record for a 9 months window. Fortunately, given the projected 2012 schedule, that is exactly the duration of the deployment.  There was some concern about the proper syncs of clocks, though Paul is confident that he can get that taken care of.  Other than that, all operations went as planned.
  • Regarding the 9 month record window, they noted that the battery configuration was inefficient due to power regulator that drops 28V to 3.3V.  Paul has already identified 75% of issue to get to 12 months at 50 sps.
  • With existing system, if they invest in higher compacity compact flash cards (128 GB) can up the sampling rate to 250 sps.  Could drop channels if desired, above 500 to 1000 sps power consumption goes up rapidly.
  • Notes that all groups are using DPGs, not hydrophones, which may impact recordings of whales.
  • If hydrophones are a requirement, would need engineering effort.
  • Servicing of instruments:  A little over a month for recovery and redeployment.
  • No space requirements in Newport for refurbishment; will occur at SIO.
Following is a summary of sampling rates, summarized by SIO engineer Paul Georgief:

A) Current sample rate is 50 samples per second (SPS)

B) See below...


1) Available sample rates are:

4000, 2000, 1000, 500, 333, 250, 200, 125, 100, 50, 40, 25, 20, 10, 5, 1


      2) We currently have 64GB compact flash cards for data storage.  There are 128GB cards on the market, but they run ~$1200.



Days w/ 64GB

Days w/ 128GB


















































3) Our initial focus was on power @ 50SPS.  We don't have detailed numbers for other sample rates.  We have mods in the works to hit our 1 Year deployment @ 50 SPS for field seasons 2-4, current configuration of deployed instruments will record for 9-months (until July 2012).



  • No concerns regarding 2011 operations.
  • For current deployment, WHOI sampling rates are:
    • Ground motion at 50 sps and 1 sps
    • DPG at 40 sps and 1 sps
    • Duration of recording is 1 year.
    • Regarding an increase in sampling rate, the Keck instruments are 7 channel instruments and unlikely to change.  New AARA instruments can have a larger sampling rate.
  • Notes that redeployment of WHOI instruments occurs in August and those same two engineers go to sea 2 weeks later.
  • WHOI plans to ship instruments from Newport to WHOI and back.  No lab space in Newport is necessary.


  • Sampling rates, currently at 125 sps, got a fair cushion for batteries, can probably go to 250 sps and get 12 months no problem. Going higher creates power problems.  Chips start not being able to keep up at high sps.  Only way to go higher is to build a data logger for hydrophone itself.
  • Last year got 14 TRM instruments on seafloor
  • In October deployed the 10 deeper instruments.
  • Thompson cruise picking up the 14 TRM and 10 other.  Currently scheduled to deploy 6.  Scheduling is about 6 weeks between Thompson Cruise and deployment in September
  • Talking with WHOI about heave compensated winch for deployments.  Maya talking with JASON group about recovery
  • Since instruments are new, little idea how much refurbishment they are going to require.  Planning to turnaround in Newport.  Hopeing to arrive in Newport.  Budget 2 weeks working on them, 2 in between, come back for 2. Intermediate 2 weeks provides slop time.  Not sure how to budget that yet.
  • Andrew will check with ship op groups about lab space in Newport.  Do not want to ship 2 flat beds each way.  Ship all containers with sensors back?  Anne thinks they can find some space.  Anne/Andrew work together on resolving space. Andrew send a memo on the space needed.
Following is summary of LDEO sampling rates from Andrew Barclay email:

Hello Doug,


All LDEO Cascadia instruments were 125 sps as specced.


We think we can go to 250 sps for the seismometers/hydrophone and still get a year out of the batteries; this would require testing.  There won't be enough time to make this change safely before the Y2 deployments.


Any higher would be a big step, as we'll be pushing up against chip speeds and power.  The Compact rolls off at 100 Hz, so we'd probably go with the hydrophone alone.  However, the hydrophone is recorded in parallel with the seismometers , so we'd need a separate logger for the hydrophone.  This would require a major engineering effort.



The Wecoma has been retired and its replacement is the Oceanus.  Collins, Dan Kat and Matt Gould have reviewed the deck space on the Oceanus, which is different from Wecoma.  Dan Kat has prepared a report on how to use deck space on the Oceanus.  Daryl Swenson is in town just now, will talk with him.  Questions: Will OSU move their container (fixed) to main deck, where will knuckle crane be placed.

Collins recalls that the acoustics of the Wecoma are good.

Upcoming 2012 Operations 

  • LDEO would like to know the approximate depths of instruments in order to evaluate use of pop up buoys.
  • Focussed array
    • Work out a definite plan at the Cascadia workshop in April.  Provide some approximate depths, area and depths.  Maps on web site under the 2012 field season on where they will go.

Action Item 1:  Susan to get the ball rolling on the design of this array


  • Current Schedule
  • Leg 1 - Oceanus: 12 May - 26 May.  25 WHOI recoveries - John Collins

  • Leg 2 - Thompson/Jason: Juy 10-24.  6 TRM LDEO deploy & 10 LDEO TRM recovery - Maya & Richard, CC@sea participants & Maya's undergrads & Richard's students.  36 science bunks.  ~10 Jason people.  OBS crew.  Plenty of space.

  • Leg 3 - New Horizon: July 15-22Recovery only 15 SIO - Bob Dziak

  • Leg 4 - Oceanus: Aug 13-28.  Deploy 25 WHOI - William & Emilie

  • Leg 5 - Oceanus: Aug 30 - Sept 7.  Deploy 15 SIO - Susan & Doug

  • Leg 6 - Oceanus: Sept 9 - 22 Deploy 24 LDEO Jeff & Anne (one week overlap with Nabalek's cruise at the end)

  • Leg 7 - mop-up.  Can get funds for supporting this PI as a supplement.  Probability of needing this is slim.

Coordination of CIET/Langseth Operations

We discussed both the Carbotte/Canales and Holbrook legs and whether or not we could coordinate recording of those shots.

For the Carbotte/Canales effort it is unlikely that the CI instruments can remain in place for that long.  Can 6 WHOI D-2s be deployed during the Leg 1 recoveries?  Yes - possibly.  6 additional instruments were funded for the on-shore off-shore component.  They will go on the margins at the ends of the lines.  At shallow water depths (100-300 m).  Personnel issues.  Collins and Babcock will discuss the possible support of more conventional shot lines.  

John:  complicated by who is going to support Carbotte and what Anne is talking about; very compressed workload. Jeff and John to talk a little bit off line, support all 3 of those deployments. Outcomes are desirable; need to work out the OBS logisitcs, then ship schedule and funding issues.  Not hugely optimistic.


Regarding the Holbrook shoot, there are many moving parts and a subset of CIET will work to determine what is possible.



Thompson Schedule Issues

Rick was to look into this.  Chatted with Brian and Rose.- Maya would like to offload the instruments in Newport.  They are reluctant to do this because Seattle is the Thompson's home port and this saves ship time money.  Perhaps cheaper to ship the instruments - cost of 2 flatbeds & one less day to work on the instruments.  But the working days are sea were lost (1.5 days) because of the longer transit to Seattle than the planned Newport.  Can the ship leave Seattle earlier?  Rick will get back to this now that he understands the issues better.  

Ideal if the cruise were to start earlier, but this affects the recording of Langseth shooting in Gray's Harbor. Need to prioritize and separate the problems.  Doug is planning to deal with the Gray's harbor Holrbooks issue separately and wait to hear back from Collins and Babcock on the Canales Carbotte shots.